November 18, 2011

Cinnamon bun explosion


I think I have a baking problem. Seriously, it’s way too fun and such productive procrastination:).

My latest creation is a cinnamon bun explosion! The buns were so bursting with deliciousness that they literally exploded out of the pan. Pretty crazy.

I’ve also been experimenting a lot with making my own granola. Cereal is just too expensive. It’s also  healthier to make your own. You then control how much sugar goes into it. It’s surprisingly easy to make your own granola. Just mix whatever you want... oats, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, coconut, dried nuts… then add some oil, vanilla, brown sugar or maple syrup... bake for 45 minutes (mix every once in awhile) at 300°F. Voila, granola! You can mix in any dried fruit at the end (don’t add before baking, it will burn, not that I know by experience…).
Yes, the most proper way to serve cinnamon buns is on a pig platter

My favourite creation so far has been gingerbread granola. Just add gingerbread spices (ginger, cloves, nutmeg), cut up fresh ginger and use molasses and brown sugar as the sweetener. Really good combo, especially during the colder months.

Now I’m just trying to figure how to get it to create big clumps like in the cereal boxes, any tips?

3 comments:

  1. Wow Leah, yummy yummy cinnamon buns with raisins, my favourites. Didn't know you are a pastery chef besides champion bike racer. Opa

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the gingerbread granola idea - I must try it!

    I think the clusters come from a bit of syrup mixture you cook up causing it to stick together somewhat before you bake it.

    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house will smell like gingerbread cookies!

    I will have to try making some sort of sticky syrup mixture. Apparently it might also help to press the granola down before baking. I will do some experimenting!

    ReplyDelete